• Hello Guest, the Post-Trespasser timeline is open to all characters now. If you want to play your DA:O/DA2 timeline characters in the Post-Trespasser timeline, please check out the thread below. It will give you all the information you need to get up and running in no time:

Getting your DA:O/DA2 Character ready for Post-Trespasser!

Irregular Hoofbeats [Closed]

Teagan Guerrin

Arl of Redcliffe
Canon Character
Noble
Post DAI Timeline
DAO/DA2 Timeline
(( 8 Guardian, 9:35, Rainesfere Stables, Early Morning -- @Breanna Guerrin ))

The morning was crisp and unseasonably cool, though that had been through no design of Teagan's. When he suggested Breanna should learn to ride, it had evidently not occurred to him that those words must come to fruition at some point. Now they manifested in an only mildly experienced rider teaching someone who'd never ridden at all. Terrible advice was certain to abound, but at least the weather was nice.

With Breanna's input, he'd spoken to Redcliffe's Master of Horses to determine which horse might be a good fit for a first-time rider. The man had sent over three different even-tempered mares, though the roan one was presently giving him a very cross look from her stall and seemed as though she might like very much to chew the braid out of his hair.

Teagan took a step away, his riding coat brushing the back of his legs as he did so. As poor of an idea as it likely he was, he remained unaccompanied--for the moment. One of his knights--and a far more experienced rider than he would ever be--had agreed to ride a good distance behind them. If he was so awful at giving instruction in this, the woman would offer guidance. Coincidentally, she was also present to throw one or both of them over her horse and carry them from the foothills if this all went so terribly that they couldn't get themselves back to civilization.

Teagan dearly hoped that would not be the case.

Not only because it was inconvenient to explain to a healer that you in fact fell off a horse and were not thrown, but because this was an opportunity of sorts. It was a touch sentimental, perhaps, but he'd missed out on... everything. These lessons would finally give him the chance to impart some manner of fatherly wisdom, no matter how shaky.

So he waited at the stables for Breanna, his own chestnut stallion snorting restively outside, his saddlebags containing savory pastries and a few other breakfast items, as well as some oats that Teagan could only assume were for Bastian, not himself or his daughter. He stood tall, back straight, and did his best no to fidget until he saw her crest the small hill that led down from the estate.

"I've given it some thought, and I've decided we should build an airship instead. Much safer. Especially as I know... absolutely nothing about engineering," which would only be a small downgrade from his knowledge about horses.

Breanna Guerrin

Bann of Rainesfere
Noble
DAO/DA2 Timeline
There were many things that she was having to acclimate herself to, as a Bann. Dealing with people was concerning, but somehow the least concerning of the list. She had been doing that all her life. The conviving was certainly much higher in this occupation, though.

But somehow, despite all the demands of the political world, it was riding a horse that was intimidating to her. Mostly because the things had always been huge to her, and she had never properly ridden one. Whenever a horse was involved, there was a cart attached. She’d never been atop of one before. But Teagan had insisted she learn, saying that it could be something she would need at one point in her life. She couldn’t fault him: there were a few of the nobility that had already invited her out to a social call on horseback, which she had politely declined. Who better than to practice with than her father, since he wouldn’t laugh at her inexperience.

Well, much, anyway.

"I've given it some thought, and I've decided we should build an airship instead. Much safer. Especially as I know... absolutely nothing about engineering."

“Oh yes, much preferred. High in the sky, what could possibly go wrong?” She approached him and offered up a hug, although it was awkward in how she steered a bit clear of the horse to do so. Maker, they were so *large* up close. “Good morning. Sleep well?” She certainly didn’t, not knowing this day was coming.

Teagan Guerrin

Arl of Redcliffe
Canon Character
Noble
Post DAI Timeline
DAO/DA2 Timeline
Teagan's smile broadened as he saw his daughter, and not merely because she looked as nervous as him about this whole ordeal. It was good to see her, in general, and to see her well. He hoped he would never lose that slight flutter that occurred as he realized she was his daughter, well and truly, and that she had become a rather remarkable woman, if he said so himself.

He'd had very little to do with that, but it wasn't something he wished to dwell on. Not now.

“Oh yes, much preferred. High in the sky, what could possibly go wrong?” She made a wide berth around a stamping Bastian to hug him, and Teagan smiled as he returned the embrace. “Good morning. Sleep well?”

"Well enough for someone who must soon face the fate of looking like a well-dressed fool, yes," he said, giving a half-spin to show off his riding clothes. "And you?"

The small-talk was harmless, and it kept them from the inevitable for a few more moments. But they couldn't avoid the task forever, and Teagan glanced at the stabled mares. The roan had settled, at least. Perhaps she just liked the look of Breanna more than Teagan.

"I had a few horses sent over. I was told they are all of even temperament and suitable for a first-time rider. Why don't you have a look at them? See which seems the most agreeable to you, and we'll go from there."

Breanna Guerrin

Bann of Rainesfere
Noble
DAO/DA2 Timeline
"Well enough for someone who must soon face the fate of looking like a well-dressed fool, yes. And you?"

She had to laugh at that, shaking her head. “Yes, your seamstress does you proud,” she teased, only belatedly hoping that he didn’t think an ill-intent behind the remark. She was none-too-eager to bring up her mother. "But I am well, thank you."

But now was not the time for thoughts of that nature. Not when she was about to be introduced to an entirely different thing that she wanted so desperately to avoid. So when Teagan glanced towards the horses, her gaze followed and she resisted the urge to bite her lip. They were beautiful creatures, but Maker, they felt overwhelmingly large.

"I had a few horses sent over. I was told they are all of even temperament and suitable for a first-time rider. Why don't you have a look at them? See which seems the most agreeable to you, and we'll go from there."

She nodded in agreement. “Yes, of course.” Even though she was absolutely screaming at the thought. It was something she tried to rein in - and as soon as the thought crossed her mind, she couldn’t hide the smirk that arose. ’No pun intended.’ Apparently the thought served her well, because she was calmer as she approached the first horse, one of the paler ones. She started to extend a hand outward, before pausing and withdrawing it. “How does one even ‘meet’ a horse, anyway?”

Teagan Guerrin

Arl of Redcliffe
Canon Character
Noble
Post DAI Timeline
DAO/DA2 Timeline
“Yes, your seamstress does you proud." There was a teasing lilt to her voice, and Teagan smiled in response, but the expression didn't quite reach his eyes. "But I am well, thank you."

Learning about Breanna's existence and the truth of her parentage had decimated the foundation upon which he'd built his adult life. He'd believed so many things about Catriona, about the time they'd spent together, and those things had shaped the man he became. They'd shaped who Breanna became, as well, and that stung even more than the lies.

They could have both learned this much earlier. When she was a teenager, or perhaps even younger than that. And while Teagan wouldn't have traded the relationship they were slowly developing now, he didn't believe he'd ever stop thinking of what they could have had.

There was no sense dwelling on it, lest he spoil the present with wishes from the past that would never be fulfilled. So for now, he led her toward the horses.

“Yes, of course," Breanna said of what was surely a foolproof method for choosing a loyal steed. She reached up to touch the roan, but hesitated and then withdrew. “How does one even ‘meet’ a horse, anyway?”

"The same way you'd meet anyone you required something of," Teagan said, his lips quirking just slightly upward, "with gifts."

That was something he'd learned from his brother, naturally, though he'd paraphrased to an absurd extent. No doubt he'd sullied the advice by applying it to horses, as well, which made it all the better.

Reaching into his riding coat, he withdrew a small red apple and handed it to Breanna. The mare took an immediate interest, her head dipping down, neck craning to try and reach it.

"Mind your fingers," he remembered to advise her, "keep your palm flat."

He could see the apprehension on her face, and it was a feeling he knew well from his own foray into horse ownership. They were such massive beasts, with a great deal of weight to throw around if they so chose. This one thankfully just seemed interested in the apple, and was relatively patient in receiving it.

"You can touch her," he said, nodding to the mare. "The bridge of the nose here, up toward the top of the head, they seem to tolerate well enough."

Teagan demonstrated, half expecting the mare to prove him wrong. Fortunately she was preoccupied, and he touched along the blaze that followed the bridge of her nose, leading into a diamond of white.

Breanna Guerrin

Bann of Rainesfere
Noble
DAO/DA2 Timeline
"The same way you'd meet anyone you required something of - with gifts."

She had to laugh at the comment, conceding the point for the good advice that it was. Whenever someone came that wanted something of her, or she needed something of them, gifts tended to be the first thing in order.

“I fear I am a terrible example at the moment, then for I came with nothing to offer.” It seemed, however, that her father was prepared for her shortcomings (as usual, she mentally chimed in, with more snideness than she customarily was), and offered an apple to her. It seemed to work, for the mare suddenly gained an interest in her, nostrils flaring a bit as it turned to her hand.

"Mind your fingers, keep your palm flat."

Breanna listened instantly, extending her fingers flat to let the mare eat from her palm. She giggled lightly, the sensation strange to her. “Can I--?”

"You can touch her," he replied, when she couldn’t seem to finish her sentence, too much in awe over the fact that she was managing to do this. "The bridge of the nose here, up toward the top of the head, they seem to tolerate well enough."

After watching him, Breanna reached up to do the same, finding herself smiling softly. “Hey there. You’re being such a good girl. You’ll keep that up when I’m on you, correct?” The mare snorted a bit, nudging her palm as if asking for more. Breanna couldn’t help but chuckle softly. “Are they always this hungry, or do they just demand more food to see if they can get away with it?” She withdrew her hands, not knowing if it was wise to keep petting her without the food as a distraction. Looking towards Teagan briefly before returning her attention to the horse, she continued. “I almost feel like I should bribe her further so I can make her fonder of me,” she quipped, grinning a bit as her teasing tone returned to her. “You, I don’t mind annoying. Her? Not so much.”