• Hello Guest, the Post-Trespasser timeline is open to all characters now. If you want to play your DA:O/DA2 timeline characters in the Post-Trespasser timeline, please check out the thread below. It will give you all the information you need to get up and running in no time:

Getting your DA:O/DA2 Character ready for Post-Trespasser!

Into Dust [Mage Hunt + Closure]

Hanamene Thornecroft

Prominent member
DAO/DA2 Timeline
I wanted to start an open-to-discussion planning thread for an idea I had.

Eventually, not right now, I'd like to put together a thread involving catching the Blood Mage that killed Hana's templar father. Less in a hurry with getting to this since we've got a lot of time before we get to the DA:I threads but I wanted to find closure for this before we do get into DA:I.

We currently have a limited templar presence on the board, but that will change eventually so I thought this could serve as a good opportunity for anyone with ties to Kirkwall's Circle to spitball with me - but definitely does not have to be limited to Circle-affiliated characters either!

It's not just a closure for Hana plot, it's also a maleficar hunt, and whatever else others want to incorporate into the idea itself. I prefer mutual character development, so I'm flexible with this whole thing to be perfectly honest. That's why I wanted to talk about it, in an open forum.

Tonally, I'm thinking a little more on the serious side (cue Moonlight Sonata). There'd be action during the pursuit of the maleficar itself, but then the end would be kind of a bummer for every one (because it's fun to torment our characters, no? Just picture them at the Hanged Man all somber afterward like, "Damn.").

Would be Vimmark Mountain-based, methinks. I have a notion the mage is hiding out there but I'm flexible on that too. I haven't fleshed out the killer at all, or what their motivation was just yet. I can drum that up easily enough, but just wanted to say I'm open to incorporating other ideas there too. If someone else had a grudge with the same mage, I'd be down for that as well.

Just consider this little blurb an open invite, for one, but also an area to brainstorm openly, for another.

* * *​

Update:

Also, I'm open to other chars having known Hana's father - having been on either good or terrible terms. He was a Knight-Tracker, so it's feasible he pissed off a mage or two (or dozens) in his time.

He also pissed off Grey Wardens, because he didn't like working with them. He wasn't super personable.

Details on Hanamene and Magnus' templar father via the "spoiler" button below...
Adding this in case anyone wants to incorporate any sort of affiliation with the deceased Knight-Tracker (friendly or rivalrous).
;) I'm open to it!
He is deceased as of August 9:34, but does appear in Stories of the Past on occasion.

Ser Graeven Thornecroft

[Pre-9:13] Becoming A Knight-Tracker

To the chagrin of his Tevinter mother and to the relief of his Fereldan father, Graeven set out to become a templar quite early in his youth. He squired for a local knight out of Redcliffe for a short time, and through his father’s association with the Chantry he quickly embraced monastic life, which led to his training and taking both his vigil and his vows. Graeven was all but segregated from his parents during this early period of academic and militant tutelage. He only reconnected with them later in life, after fathering his first child. As a Knight-Tracker, Hana’s late father had seen and explored a great deal of Thedas during his lifetime. He crossed paths with varying templars, mages, Chantry-folk and even wardens in his time.

[9:14] Ferelden Circle/First Transfer: Hossberg

He was with the Ferelden Circle firstly, but was transferred to the Hossberg Circle in the Anderfels after it was discovered he had fathered two children with an elven woman in Ferelden without having disclosed his relationship with the latter to the Order ahead of time. He left his children in the care of his parents, but leveraged his position as a scouring Knight-Tracker to return home - on rare and unpredictable occasions - to see his family when he could manage doing so. Despite this, he was still rather estranged from them which is why, when his children were old enough and in an attempt to bond with them, he began to train them no differently than any militant recruit. While his doing so strengthened his relationship with his daughter, it did have the opposite effect with his son.

[9:14 to 9:29] Rumour

While the Hossberg Circle was known to work closely with the Grey Wardens of Weisshaupt, a number of varying rumours exist about Ser Graeven having butt heads with the ranks of the latter.

[9:30, August] Second Transfer: Kirkwall

Ser Graeven was in Ferelden, having tracked an Anderfels apostate there, just before the Fifth Blight occurred. In the chaos that ensued, Ser Graeven found himself along the north helping his countrymen flee the darkspawn for Kirkwall. He put in for a transfer to Kirkwall during this time, which was hastily approved as the Hossberg Circle was glad to be rid of him. In Kirkwall, he was eventually reunited with his children in a seeming act of providence when they fled, separately from himself, from Ferelden to Kirkwall as well.

[9:34, Late August] Murder

He was killed sometime between the dates of 21 and 30 August, 9:34, purportedly by a blood mage given the condition his body was in when his corpse was discovered along the Wounded Coast.

The Templar Order in Kirkwall held a service for him after his body was cremated, on the Annum Kingsway, 9:34. His ashes are in storage, laid to rest in an urn, at Kirkwall's Chantry.

Remembrance

Ser Graeven was a hard person to read. To his family, he was an unaffectionate man of few words. To his peers, he was a man of even but very cool temper, fair but unfriendly for the most part. To his superiors, he seemed aloof and some occasionally found him veer, almost, toward insubordinate at times - generally due to his addressing his superiors as if they were instead still his peers. Fathering two children and, allegedly, marrying an elven woman without the Order’s consent aside, Ser Graeven was an otherwise obedient templar and an effective tracker though a few thought the restrained man was sometimes a little too calm around mages. Few of his colleagues knew that his mother, Estella, was the daughter of a disgraced, and assassinated, magister of the Imperium (or that she was an apostate herself, for that matter - having married his father, Mason Thornecroft, after she’d fled to Ferelden to begin life anew).

Last edited: