• Hello Guest, the Post-Trespasser timeline is open to all characters now. If you want to play your DA:O/DA2 timeline characters in the Post-Trespasser timeline, please check out the thread below. It will give you all the information you need to get up and running in no time:

Getting your DA:O/DA2 Character ready for Post-Trespasser!

Well, Uh, Hi... [Closed]

Fergus Cousland

Teyrn of Highever
Staff member
Canon Character
Noble
DAO/DA2 Timeline
(( Harvestmere 13, Early afternoon, @Breanna Guerrin ))

Fergus was milling about the market, trying to decide if he should go see if that vendor Leliana had shown him last month was open down by the bridge. The sweets were good, and he had been back at least once after their day traveling the market.

The estate was almost completely functional now, most of the staff had been hired, and the appropriate funds were being funneled in. He was still debating on hiring a separate seneschal, or sending Anais here to get working experience without her father shadowing over her.

He decided he’d go for his usual pastry today, picking up a nice sweet roll and making his way into the dry goods area of the Market. Imports were marked up this time of year due to the dangers of traveling, but he still had purchased a few things that had caught his eye and had them sent on to the estate.

He was about the pass the fabric stall when he saw her. He paused, canting his head to the side, unsure if he was seeing right. Arl Teagan was in town, so he shouldn’t be surprised his daughter was, but Fergus felt his chest tighten a bit. He hadn’t seen her since she had left Highever at the end of August.

She had noticed him too, and she was just standing there staring at him as if frozen. He could do one of two things here. Pass her by, and pretend to not have seen her, which would be extremely rude, or actually stop and speak to her.

The latter was more appropriate, especially since he wanted no hard feelings between them. So he chose the better response and took a few steps forward, “Good day to you, Bann Breanna.

Breanna Guerrin

Bann of Rainesfere
Noble
DAO/DA2 Timeline
It truly felt like she was unable to visit the marketplace as much as she used to anymore. Then again, considering she used to live above the store she shared with her mother at the market, such would be the case by default. But she missed this. The bustle, the livelihood, the movement of the place. Rainesfere or Lothering might have lacked this movement, but the sentiment behind it was almost entirely the same, and that was what she missed. But with Teagan in a meeting, and her having a deep desire to get out, she found herself in the marketplace. As always, she was drawn to the stall of yarns and other knitting and sewing paraphernalia, purchasing various colors and putting them in her basket.

She was about to head over to the bakery when she found herself stopping in her tracks.

Fergus.

She was not expecting him to be here. Of course, she knew he was around, but somehow she had anticipated not running into him, not yet. It took her a few moments to register that he was approaching, and she willed herself to relax. This was Fergus, not some self-absorbed idiot that kept hounding for her attention. This was company she had enjoyed… attention she truly would have savored, if not for the rest of the things that came with it.

The curtsy came instinctively at the address. “And a good day to you, my Lordship.”

Bloody hell, why did it suddenly feel like the market had come to a stop. She knew it hadn’t, that it was all in her mind, but she had not felt this nervous in ages.

Fergus Cousland

Teyrn of Highever
Staff member
Canon Character
Noble
DAO/DA2 Timeline
She curtsied of all things, and it was a stark reminder to where they were with each other. He had so many hopes when she was in Highever, but he had made her a promise before things ever began that he would not hold her there if she could not handle it.

His smile felt a bit strained, but he hoped it did not show. He bowed as she greeted him, “And a good day to you, my Lordship.

Did he flinch at the formality? He wasn’t sure. He tried to joke, “Come now, surely you still know my name.

The smile on his lips didn’t quite reach his eyes. He looked into her basket, before looking back up at her, “A new project, or just stocking up?

It was small talk, something they should have been past by now, but he continued before she answered, “Are you in town visiting your father?

Breanna Guerrin

Bann of Rainesfere
Noble
DAO/DA2 Timeline
“Come now, surely you still know my name.”

It was her turn to flinch, and she was not so skilled as to hide it from him. Straightening, she looked at his expression and felt her heart sink. He was smiling, but it was not a genuine one. Clearly he was not pleased to see her. Not that she could blame him; considering how she had backed away from their arrangement, she would not wish to see herself, either.

“I... my apologies. I assumed...” She trailed off, not quite certain if she should, or even could, air out the sentiments that she was feeling just then. How desperately she wished for the ground to open up and consume her just then. Why did this meeting have to take place in the middle of the market? She’d be so much less concerned about appearance if she didn’t have so many eyes upon her.

The question about her contents, however, pulled her out of her reverie… to a degree. When he followed it up with another question without a chance to reply, she found herself hesitant about whether or not she should even have replied to the first one. After all, not pausing to find out the answer meant he was not very interested in the response, no? But after a few moments, she bit her bottom lip and let out a sigh. “Stocking up. As much as I am attempting to expand upon the trade taking place in Rainesfere, I still cannot get the same quality of goods that I can here in Denerim.” And with the new construction efforts in Haven, trade had definitely increased in Rainesfere, but it was largely in that vein and thus impacted items such as sewing very little.

“As for my father, our meeting here was planned to a degree. He has concerns he wished to bring up to the king. I am here in case His Majesty has questions to ask of me, regarding it.” Beyond that, she would not continue in public. But surely, Teagan had informed Fergus of the events?

Fergus Cousland

Teyrn of Highever
Staff member
Canon Character
Noble
DAO/DA2 Timeline
She flinched at his poor attempt at humor. This shouldn't be awkward, they had agreed to an amenable parting after all before things had even gotten rolling. Still, he felt wounded by it, no matter how much he tried not to be.

I... my apologies. I assumed...” She stumbled over her words a bit again, and he felt bad for it. He didn't want her to be nervous around him. Was she mortified that they had run into each other? Had she intended to avoid him for the rest of her days? No, he couldn't put that on her, the parting was still fresh for both of them.

However, he almost decided to let things be, and wish her a good day. But he was never one to not try for some amenable conversation, especially when it was someone he had opened up to. She took a moment to respond to his first question, looking like she'd rather be anywhere but here talking to him, . “Stocking up. As much as I am attempting to expand upon the trade taking place in Rainesfere, I still cannot get the same quality of goods that I can here in Denerim.

He nodded at that, "It's the lack of seaport. If you want, I can help strike some deals to send better good down your way, at least to Redcliffe."

He was trying to expand on his trade deals after all.

As for my father, our meeting here was planned to a degree. He has concerns he wished to bring up to the king. I am here in case His Majesty has questions to ask of me, regarding it.” That made Fergus raise a brow. What could possibly be going on that Teagan would need to speak to the king about.

"Is it something I can help with?" She was still part of his teynir, and it was his job to help. "I understand if you don't want to speak about it in the middle of the market, but I'm willing to help if I can."

Breanna Guerrin

Bann of Rainesfere
Noble
DAO/DA2 Timeline
"It's the lack of seaport. If you want, I can help strike some deals to send better good down your way, at least to Redcliffe."

Her eyes came up to his at that, finding herself smiling softly. “That would prove to be beneficial for both of us. Thank you.” Perhaps that was something that could be looked into. They were close enough to the river and the lake that something could be created. Obviously not to the scale of a seaport, but goods would certainly move quicker...

But that was a thought for another time, and she was distracted by his question of Teagan’s presence. However, his response was unexpected.

"Is it something I can help with? I understand if you don't want to speak about it in the middle of the market, but I'm willing to help if I can."

“Oh.” He didn’t know? Considering how big a deal Teagan seemed to be making of it, she certainly would have thought he would have approached Fergus about it. Then again, considering recent events, perhaps that would not have been high on his list. Seeing what she herself had done to put a dent in that relationship.

Clearing her throat, she looked down at her basket, then up at him again. “You are correct. Perhaps this can be discussed in a more private setting? I can make some tea; we are not too far from the Estate, after all.”

Fergus Cousland

Teyrn of Highever
Staff member
Canon Character
Noble
DAO/DA2 Timeline
That would prove to be beneficial for both of us. Thank you.” she said of the trade deals. He smiled at that, and thought that was possibly a start to try and at least build on the friendship they had shared.

He’d have to make note of it, and put Almaric on the task when he returned home. Not that he wouldn’t personally do any of it, but his seneschal would do well in at least giving him leads for ones he didn’t arrange himself. He gave her a nod, more concerned now about this trouble she mentioned.

Oh.” she seemed a bit surprised that he didn’t know. Their lives had been wrapped up together for months, it would seem odd he supposed that he wasn’t aware of what was going on.

You are correct. Perhaps this can be discussed in a more private setting? I can make some tea; we are not too far from the Estate, after all.” Private? That meant whatever it was, it was certainly more serious than surface politics.

Of course,” he said and gestured for her to lead the way. He knew where the estate was of course, but he would be her guest. The fell in step beside each other making their way through the crowd, and finally reached a point where it thinned out near the gates.

I know you don’t want to talk until we get inside, but are you safe?” A worried knot formed at the center of his brow, and he did his best to hold back from reaching for her. If it was serious, if someone was threatening her, he would help. Even if it was just a threat to Teagan, he would help. They both fell under his banner, but he also considered them much more than that.

Breanna Guerrin

Bann of Rainesfere
Noble
DAO/DA2 Timeline
He fell in step beside her, and she matched his stride with ease as they walked away from the market and towards the Estate. She still didn’t quite associate it as home, and the memories of the previous visit lingered heavily. After all, Catriona was not present with them on this trip, and the memories of having her around the estate were considerable.

She was almost grateful when Fergus spoke again, not wishing to get lost in the hopeless thoughts that were her parents’ (non?) relationship. But the topic he brought up really wasn’t much better.

“I know you don’t want to talk until we get inside, but are you safe?”

Breanna let out a wry chuckle. “I suppose it depends who you ask. According to Teagan, no. That is why we are here, as he wishes to discuss some things with the king. According to myself, it is under control.” She glanced sideways at him. “If it were anyone else in the bannorn, Teagan would not be reacting like this.”

From the entranceway, a blur moved towards them rapidly, barking and jumping around Breanna’s legs excitedly. Laughing, she brought a hand out, and he immediately stopped before her, panting with apparent glee. “Good boy. I see the groomer did a wonderful job with you, you look very handsome! Does he not, Fergus?”

It was then that Hurin seemed to notice who was beside her, and got all excited again. But he was well-trained, and didn’t make a motion towards him until Breanna lowered her hand once more, waiting until Fergus was prepared for the mabari to greet him.

Last edited:

Fergus Cousland

Teyrn of Highever
Staff member
Canon Character
Noble
DAO/DA2 Timeline
I suppose it depends who you ask. According to Teagan, no. That is why we are here, as he wishes to discuss some things with the king. According to myself, it is under control.” She sounded perturbed with her father, but he wondered if it truly was under control. “If it were anyone else in the bannorn, Teagan would not be reacting like this.

Maybe, but you’re important to him. You cannot expect him not to act on something that may harm you,” he said it with a smile. He could not judge whether or not Teagan was overreacting until he knew the meat of the situation. Which he hoped Breanna would fill him in on in detail once they were in a more private setting.

As they made it through the gates a familiar creature came bounding towards her. Hurin’s excitement at seeing Breanna brought a grin to his face, and especially when he obeyed her silent command to still, though the excitement was still written all over the mabari’s face. “Good boy. I see the groomer did a wonderful job with you, you look very handsome! Does he not, Fergus?

“That he does!” Fergus knelt on the balls of his feet, and held out a hand to Hurin. Once he was given leave from Breanna the Mabari boundd the few spaces between them and licked his outstreched hand. “It’s been a while, boy. I hope you’ve been keeping your mistress safe?

That earned what almost sounded like a proud bark, and Hurin sat proud and at attention as if to display his ability to guard. Fergus gave him a good scratching between his ears and down his back before standing, “I’m glad to see he’s here.

What went unsaid was that he missed the creature, and while Riane had her new kitten, she was sure the girl missed him as well. He nodded to the entrance, “Shall we continue, with our good friend coming along with us?

Breanna Guerrin

Bann of Rainesfere
Noble
DAO/DA2 Timeline
“Maybe, but you’re important to him. You cannot expect him not to act on something that may harm you,” he said, offering up a smile that had Breanna trying not to sigh. She should have known better than to try to appeal to logic with another person inclined to cautionary behavior amongst those he cared about. She supposed she couldn't blame him such an attitude, however.

“While you are not incorrect, the fact of the matter is that it is quite difficult to justify anything if he shows favor in such matters that do not warrant such concern.”

Hurin’s appearance, however, calmed things, bringing a smile to both of their faces. Breanna was particularly proud to show off his training. After all, his trainer had come from the region of Highever, so it was certainly thing he himself should be proud of.

Hurin proudly stood before Fergus, after his excited greeting, and Breanna watched the interaction with a smile. Hurin had always gotten along well with Fergus, as well as the much younger Cousland. But that was of little surprise, considering how both tended to be such good-natured individuals. The mabari was quite good at detecting otherwise. “I’m glad to see he’s here.”

“As am I.” Especially as of late. While Teagan had gotten him for her as a means of protection, the fact of the matter was that Hurin was an excellent companion. With her work holding her up in Rainesfere as of late, social interaction was something that she had been lacking. Considering how much social activity she’d had during the previous change in weather, she wasn’t entirely certain if that was a welcome change or not. Formal relationship or not, she definitely missed the Cousland pair.

“Shall we continue, with our good friend coming along with us?”

“Yes, indeed. He wouldn’t dream otherwise, I am certain.” Breanna led the pair of them down the remaining distance inside, leading them to the study. It was definitely not the formal area to meet someone of Fergus’ stature, but the fact of the matter was she desired a space that had a touch more privacy, lest someone else overhear.

“Please, take a seat. Can I get you something? Water, tea? Some rolls?” She smiled faintly. “I would offer some sweets, but I cannot say there are a great deal many of them in the estate.” Considering how neither Guerrin ate them, they were almost entirely for guests.

Fergus Cousland

Teyrn of Highever
Staff member
Canon Character
Noble
DAO/DA2 Timeline
While you are not incorrect, the fact of the matter is that it is quite difficult to justify anything if he shows favor in such matters that do not warrant such concern.” She said, and he lifted a brow.

Was she not in any danger? He didn’t think Teagan was someone to overreact, though he did have some passionate tendencies that made him act before thinking. Hurin appeared, disrupting those thoughts, and he spent a good few minutes reuniting with the sweet mabari.

Yes, indeed. He wouldn’t dream otherwise, I am certain.” she said at his suggestion to continue inside. Hurin obediently walked along with them, and Fergus felt that pang of regret for things gone. He had grieved the loss of what they had been building together, but that did not mean it could not still hurt.

She brought them to the study, and became the gracious host, “Please, take a seat. Can I get you something? Water, tea? Some rolls? I would offer some sweets, but I cannot say there are a great deal many of them in the estate.

No, nothing right now, thank you.” He moved over to take a seat as she had offered, resting an ankle on his knee. “And my market adventure has me with my own sweets if I decide I need one.

He watched her a moment before pressing the issue, his concern even more obvious now, “Please, tell me what’s going on, Bre.

Breanna Guerrin

Bann of Rainesfere
Noble
DAO/DA2 Timeline
“No, nothing right now, thank you. And my market adventure has me with my own sweets if I decide I need one.” It was an excellent point, seeing as that was where she saw him. One that spoke volumes as to her level of distraction… and desire for delaying the conversation.

Something he cleared picked up on. “Please, tell me what’s going on, Bre.”

‘Bre.’ Not many tended to call her that, and for a brief moment, she hesitated as her heart ached at the loss of familiarity. The pause stretched, and she sank down onto a chair opposite him with a heavy sigh, as if the name had created a crack in her resolve. In a way, it very much had.

“We have reason to believe that someone is attempting to overthrow me as Bann of Rainesfere. Initially, he extended his hand in courtship. I respectfully declined.” Even though she was tempted to tell him to kindly fuck off, she had more tact than that and told him that she had no interest at this time. “Since then, he has made various indications that he wishes to weaken my position as Bann. Presumably to gain the post, himself.”

Fergus Cousland

Teyrn of Highever
Staff member
Canon Character
Noble
DAO/DA2 Timeline
We have reason to believe that someone is attempting to overthrow me as Bann of Rainesfere. Initially, he extended his hand in courtship. I respectfully declined.” He remembered that last part. It was one of the reasons he had pressed the public courtship, to help stave off advances of that sort. Her name gave her clout and favor, and much like him, people saw the advancement that would come from a political marriage. “Since then, he has made various indications that he wishes to weaken my position as Bann. Presumably to gain the post, himself.

Fergus blew an exasperated breath through his nose. Maker, these people should know that she was well protected. Her father was an Arl, and she fell under Fergus' banner even if they had dissolved their arrangement. Perhaps whoever was doing this thought they had parted on bad terms, which only made him feel worse over the whole situation. He was frowning, and his fingers flexed as if they were seeking out a drink. He caught himself, and folded his hands together in his lap then,

"And has he made any actual moves, or has this all been idle gossip that's finding it's way back to you and your father?" If Teagan was truly concerned, then he had to believe there was actually intent behind the indications of this person. "And are they threats, or is he just trying to discredit you?"

Breanna Guerrin

Bann of Rainesfere
Noble
DAO/DA2 Timeline
"And has he made any actual moves, or has this all been idle gossip that's finding it's way back to you and your father? And are they threats, or is he just trying to discredit you?"

It was obvious to her that he was exasperated. She was, too, albeit for different reasons. But she knew that expression of concern, and for a moment, she panicked. Oh Maker, she didn't need the concern of Teagan and Fergus.

“As far as I know, it is merely discrediting. There has been some action that has taken place against some of our caravan trades from the north, but it has been handled thanks to Chantry intervention. Nor does it necessarily have anything to do with Spearman. That is the most concerning matter at present. Nothing solid has taken place, sort of rumors. And his persistence in meeting with me.” She looked down at her palm briefly, shaking her head. “Whenever there is a meeting with him, I make certain to have others of my staff present. It is nothing I can explain, but…. Well, if this were my shop and not my bannorn, I would have kicked him out by the ear ages ago,” she admitted. The man just disturbed her. Since there was nothing she could act upon, however, she had to tolerate him. “But there is absolutely nothing I can accuse him of, besides being... socially... aggressive,” she decided to phrase it as, after multiple pauses. “Teagan seems to think otherwise, but he has not enlightened me as to the full details as of yet. I know he is working on an investigation at present.”

Fergus Cousland

Teyrn of Highever
Staff member
Canon Character
Noble
DAO/DA2 Timeline
As far as I know, it is merely discrediting. There has been some action that has taken place against some of our caravan trades from the north, but it has been handled thanks to Chantry intervention. Nor does it necessarily have anything to do with Spearman. That is the most concerning matter at present. Nothing solid has taken place, sort of rumors. And his persistence in meeting with me.” She said, shaking her head.

Whenever there is a meeting with him, I make certain to have others of my staff present. It is nothing I can explain, but…. Well, if this were my shop and not my bannorn, I would have kicked him out by the ear ages ago,” Fergus frowned, and there was a strong desire to go have words with this man, “But there is absolutely nothing I can accuse him of, besides being... socially... aggressive.

"Honestly, you are in within your rights to not allow him your time. If he offers you nothing productive, nothing that would assist the health of your bannorn, you should decline any meetings he may request. This man isn't your peer," he stopped, sighing. It wasn't really his place was it. "While it may seem discourteous to some, but if there's no benefit, then you should tell him to sod off."

Teagan seems to think otherwise, but he has not enlightened me as to the full details as of yet. I know he is working on an investigation at present.” While he knew that Teagan could be overreacting to things, the fact that he had an actual investigation started made Fergus believe it wasn't a trifling matter.

His fingers tapped at the arm of his seat for a moment, "I won't interfere, but know that I'm in you and your father's corner if you need something. It's better to be cautious in this, you know. Especially if Spearman is showing himself to be aggressive, as you say."

He didn't know much about the man, but he had heard his name before. It was frustrating that she was having to deal with this, especially so soon after leaving Highever. She'd left at least in part from too much attention on her, had she not? And yet, here was someone pushing the boundaries of decorum. It also worried him, especially because he had already lost so much. While he and Breanna weren't together anymore, it did not mean he was not concerned for her safety. "I would hate for something to happen to you, Bre."