• Hello Guest, the Post-Trespasser timeline is open to all characters now. If you want to play your DA:O/DA2 timeline characters in the Post-Trespasser timeline, please check out the thread below. It will give you all the information you need to get up and running in no time:

Getting your DA:O/DA2 Character ready for Post-Trespasser!

Snow Blind [Closed]

Andriel Thelion

DAO/DA2 Timeline
(( Firstfall 19, Well travelled road through the Wending Wood, late afternoon. Dristan Xuresh ))

Lola was setting a slower pace than she wanted. The mule was likely reacting to how cold it was getting, but Andriel wanted to at least get to one of the smaller villages before they stopped. The smell on the air told her that snow could be coming.

She could survive it of course. She’d been caught in snowstorms before, and she had enough supplies to protect and help her survive in bad weather. Her extra leathers and furs in the cart could be used for emergencies if it came to that too.

Rake rumbled just off the road, and Andriel turned to look at the tree line. She could make out the cougar’s form moving along along the underbrush, and smiled. Rake was great for these trips until she had to go into town. It always made her feel strange leaving her outside of the city, and worried that she’d come back to find an arrow in her.

But Rake was good at behaving when they were apart, and good at avoiding strangers. Even now she seemed to near disappear in the foliage and they came to a bend in the road. There was crunching of leaves that had littered the road that didn’t belong to her or Lola.

It was a main road, so she shouldn’t be surprised that she’d encounter someone on it. Just, with the weather turning the way it was, and the nearest town north of them being quite a few hours away, it would have made sense for most travellers to already be tucked in for the night.

She might have been enjoying a nice warm bowl of stew herself if Lola wasn’t being so difficult. Andriel gave the mule a look, but it didn’t seem to notice her disapproval and kept trudging at its slower than reasonable pace.

When she tried to get a look at what or who was down the road, she was nearly relieved to see if was a single figure. Her hands discretely checked her weapons, and she adjusted the hood of her cloak, ready to give the stranger a nod and move on her way.

Dristan Xuresh

DAO/DA2 Timeline
Dristan had long resisted the idea of purchasing a mule or some other beast of burden, despite how necessary it had become. Aside from the upfront cost, a mule was a living creature. It could not simply be purchased and then ignored. An animal required constant upkeep, not just monetarily, but physically, mentally, and emotional, too.

It was a curious thing, as Dristan devoted all of his time and energy to the people that passed through the door of his unnamed apothecary. He’d done so before, in the Free Marches, and before that, as well. Much of his life was spent caring for other people.

But when he was not caring for other people, he barely had the energy to care for himself. An animal would only add to the burden, and he knew himself well enough to know that his health would suffer in favor of making certain the mule was well cared for.

He did, however, still need the assistance of some kind of animal to make the trip back from Denerim. It took enough time that it was horribly inefficient not to buy out as much as he could afford when he ventured to the market, and that required more space than he had in his satchel.

That was how, every few months, Dristan found himself in the company of Daisy, an overly-friendly two-year-old donkey who was surprisingly strong for her age and size. Admittedly she was more boisterous than helpful in most situations, and he frequently had to redirect her attention to the road when it was swayed by various noises only she seemed able to hear.

They’d been walking for several hours already, and Dristan knew it would have been wise to stop at the inn he’d passed some time ago. It would be dark soon, and the temperature had already dropped significantly during the day, to the point where the patchwork coat he wore did little to protect him from sudden gusts of wind. The traveling cloak draped about him helped, and the wool clothes he wore underneath were warm enough, but not so much that he did not regret abandoning the prospect of a warm fire in favor of getting back to Amaranthine as quickly as possible.

Daisy seemed unbothered by the whole ordeal. When he braced against the wind, she rushed forward, the bell on her harness jingling merrily. Her ears were pricked, something obviously having caught her attention. Dristan assumed it was another hare or something he could not see, but in fact he was able to see relatively clearly what had caught her interest.

There was a figure in the distance, accompanied by a mule or horse. As he drew closer, Dristan saw it was a mule pulling a cart of furs and leathers that looked decidedly warmer than anything he was wearing. He was prepared to just nod at the woman who owned the mule, but Daisy was braying excitedly, threatening to tip over her cart in her desperate urge to greet the stranger.

Dristan sighed and did his best to try and look somewhat pleasant. He assumed he mostly just looked tired. “My apologies. She’s… rather friendly, but she means no harm.”

Aside from that which she caused accidentally. A satchel flipped off the back of the cart, and Dristan bent to retrieve it, pulling the strap across his body and tucking the bag beneath one arm.

He clicked his tongue and tugged on Daisy’s harness. The bells jingled, but she was ignoring him completely in favor of greeting the mule.

Andriel Thelion

DAO/DA2 Timeline
The person that approached had a donkey and cart as well. And briefly she thought that their passing would be brief, though she wanted to warn them about continuing on. The wind was beginning to pick up, the chill making its way signaling something worse than just a frigid night.

Yet, it seemed that the donkey leading their cart was an excitable sort -- perhaps the very opposite of Lola -- and began rushing to meet them, bell jangling and mouth braying. Andriel couldn’t help but laugh a little at the situation, and put a hand on Lola’s neck to have her stop.

My apologies. She’s… rather friendly, but she means no harm.” the man said once he got closer, even though his mule was moving erratic enough to knock some of his cargo out of the wagon. Lola looked at the other pack animal with a small inkling of interest, keeping her spot but lifting and dropping her head to acknowledge the other beast.

Andriel looked to the trees again, and saw the brief flash of eyes in the shadows. Rake was standing watch, so she was content to turn back to this newcomer, and give the warning she had intended to. “It’s alright. Looks like a young donkey, not fully trained yet. I think the worst she could offer would be an uncomfortable nip.

She grinned a little and looked back up to the sky, “Snow is coming. I’d suggest you turn back south. You won’t make it to the next village north of here in time. Hells, we’ll be lucky to get to the village south.

She gave him a little smile, and moved over to his donkey. It had a very excitable but friendly disposition, and she took a moment to run her hands along it’s muzzle and forehead to try and calm it. She pulled a carrot from her pocket, and it ate it hungrily. Andriel intentionally ignore the slight huff she heard from Lola nearby. “Don’t worry, I still have plenty for you, girl.

Dristan Xuresh

DAO/DA2 Timeline
The woman he had planned to merely pass on the road looked as though she’d been in the wilderness for months, if not longer. Dristan would never say that aloud--for all that he could be a bit of a fool in social situations, he knew that comment would not be received well--yet he didn’t mean it as an insult. She merely had a wild look about her, from the loose tangles in her hair to the practical but perhaps not city-intended clothing she wore. The cart filled with pelts did little to disprove the theory.

“It’s alright,” the woman said, the tone and cadence of her voice placing her in… the Bannorn, perhaps? Possibly Rainesfere or Redcliffe. “Looks like a young donkey, not fully trained yet. I think the worst she could offer would be an uncomfortable nip.”

“Indeed, though usually that nip is in pursuit of food,” he said with a small smile of his own.

The woman had a rather nice smile. It, too, was a touch wild, but friendlier than he would have expected from a random stranger. Her advice was far kinder, if difficult to hear. “Snow is coming. I’d suggest you turn back south. You won’t make it to the next village north of here in time. Hells, we’ll be lucky to get to the village south.”

Dristan looked up at the sky as though he might have any luck disputing her. It was clouded over and grey for miles, but the sky had been thus since before he left Denerim. For as much as he knew about identifying plant life, he was certainly no survivalist.

He let out a quiet sigh, his gaze taking in the stretch of road he’d already managed to clear. “That’s unfortunate. I was hoping to make it to Amaranthine tonight.”

A fanciful dream, regardless. It would be dark soon, and while he could make a torch if required, he was unsure how Daisy would react to the fire.

The woman seemed unconcerned, and she pulled out a carrot. Daisy’s ears twitched in that way that told him she was even more excited than normal, and her tail began to lash the air behind her. She ate greedily, small bits of carrot littering the ground, but when the offering was gone she didn’t search out more. She seemed to calm at the woman’s touch, the noises she made merely becoming a soft wheezing sound rather than the ear-piercing braying she was capable of.

“Usually when I give her a treat she incessantly noses around for more. I don’t suppose this technique you have is something the average person could learn?” he asked with a soft smile.

For as kind as the woman was, however, Dristan was not looking for a travel companion. Going between Denerim and Amaranthine was something he did out of necessity, and while he could appreciate new sights, there was nothing all that inspiring about walking the same road to and from. He would much rather just get back to his work.

He could admit it would be wise to go as far as the next village, though. As she was presently traveling south and he north, there was no chance of them crossing paths afterward. Not on this journey, at least.

“I suppose we should be turning back, then, if you wouldn’t mind our company. I will warn you I’ve been told Daisy’s is far more agreeable than my own.”

Andriel Thelion

DAO/DA2 Timeline
That’s unfortunate. I was hoping to make it to Amaranthine tonight.” he said to her advice, and she shook her head. Maybe a month ago pushing on would have been a fine, but not now. She let the donkey finish its meal before patting down the length of it’s neck again.

As she did so, she looked over at her new companion. He seemed well put together, well groomed, likely stayed in the city save for these kind of jaunts. There was something about him that was vaguely familiar though. Perhaps she had seen him in Amaranthine or Denerim at some point during her travels. Whatever he was transporting was well hidden in the satchels set up in the wagon, and she had no real reason to inquire what it was.

Her wares were obvious, and she often found herself selling on the road during this time of the year. He didn’t seem too interested in that though. More interested in how his animal was reacting to her. “Usually when I give her a treat she incessantly noses around for more. I don’t suppose this technique you have is something the average person could learn?

She gave a half shrug, a smile on her face, “Just something that happens when you get to know your animals. She just needed some attention is all.

The donkey seemed to be a very good natured, but social creature, which is why she came trotting up to Lola. She gestured to the mule, “Lola’s content to be left alone for the most part, but tonight she’s moving slower than I’d like.

Speaking of, they needed to get moving soon. Otherwise, she’d need to find a blind or set up a shelter soon. She looked over at the man again, wondering if he knew how to find shelter. Moving back over to Lola, she was prepared to start leading her south again.

“I suppose we should be turning back, then, if you wouldn’t mind our company. I will warn you I’ve been told Daisy’s is far more agreeable than my own.” He finally offered and began to turn his wagon round.

Nah, no bother to me. I’m used to talking to Lola here, or Rake. But Rake’s staying a good distance away right now so she don’t scare you or your animal there.” Flakes started to drift down, just a slight flurry. She scrunched her nose a little, and then clicked her tongue to get the mule moving.

You ever been caught out here during a snowfall?” She was still smiling, a half grin that seemed to just be part of her normal expression.

Dristan Xuresh

DAO/DA2 Timeline
The woman shrugged, as though getting a young, excitable animal to behave was the easiest thing in the world. “Just something that happens when you get to know your animals. She just needed some attention is all.” She gestured to her own beast then, an older mule, “Lola’s content to be left alone for the most part, but tonight she’s moving slower than I’d like.”

Dristan couldn’t say he blamed her. It was colder than he’d expected, and the gusts of wind that whipped around them weren’t helping. Precisely why they needed to head back. He was technically capable of surviving, but that was a thinly-stretched technicality he wasn’t eager to test. Skills he’d learned--and certainly hadn’t mastered--to impress someone over twenty years ago weren’t skills he’d ever count on to keep him alive.

“Nah, no bother to me,” she said, and seemed to mean it, “I’m used to talking to Lola here, or Rake. But Rake’s staying a good distance away right now so she don’t scare you or your animal there.”

“Rake…?” he looked around, not entirely sure what he expected. That didn’t sound like the name of another pack animal--unless that animal was a wolf, perhaps.

Dristan felt the featherlight touch of snowflakes as they landed on his hair and the back of his neck. Even as they stood in the road, the snow began to fall more frequently. He began to feel the moisture seeping through his coat and clothing, and one more glance at the sky told him absolutely nothing about how long they had.

The stranger nudged her mule forward, and thankfully Daisy kept pace as herd animals were wont to do. Dristan kept pace, as well, not interested in testing the knowledge his teenaged self had been so proud of learning.

“You ever been caught out here during a snowfall?”

The slight quirk of a grin that seemed a permanent fixture of her expression was familiar somehow. Only vaguely so, but in a way that was going to grate at his conscious mind until he sorted out where he’d seen her before.

Dristan shook his head. “I had enough supplies to weather last winter without needing to make the trip. As soon as the temperature began to drop there was an increase in illnesses, though, so it wasn’t possible this year.”

She hadn’t asked, but talking about his work always made him feel a touch more grounded. A useful thing, considering the sudden turn in weather was causing a touch of anxiety, and the vague familiarity with this woman would drive him mad if he let it.

“I assume from the hides that you are no stranger to this area,” he nodded toward her cart. “Are those all from game you and your… companion hunted yourselves?”

Andriel Thelion

DAO/DA2 Timeline
Rake…?” he asked, and she nodded. For now, she didn’t tell him exactly what her other companion was. Instead she directed a question about the snow to him. At least they were moving now, but even as they walked the road the snow and wind started to pick up. She pulled her own cloak around her a little tighter.

I had enough supplies to weather last winter without needing to make the trip. As soon as the temperature began to drop there was an increase in illnesses, though, so it wasn’t possible this year.” He said, catching her interest. Illnesses. So those were medical supplies. She glanced over at his wagon, curious about what he had stored in the satchels.

A healer then? My father was a healer, I know a bit about herbs and their use.” That smile stayed ever present, but there was a wistfulness that touched her eyes. “I assume it's cheaper than having them shipped up to Amaranthine to travel to Denerim?

I assume from the hides that you are no stranger to this area,” Seemed she wasn’t the only one curious about what the other was carrying. “Are those all from game you and your… companion hunted yourselves?

The snow picked up, and she shivered at a particular gust of wind. She frowned briefly, eyes scanning the area off road, and trying to get her bearings. “I travel this route twice a year to sell my furs and leather. I know the area alright, but I come from just west of Rainesfere.

She grinned a little broader when she caught the slightest hint of movement from Rake again. “And yes, Rake and I hunted it all down together. She’s a cougar, had her since she was a kit.

Andriel’s hand moved to Lola’s neck again, stroking gently, “If this gets any worse, we might want to look for a blind. I have some tent supplies, but the animals will need shelter too.

Her brows furrowed as she tried to think. There could be a cabin nearby, but she’d hate to impose on someone else’s property. A blind would at least give them someplace to construct a shelter.

Dristan Xuresh

DAO/DA2 Timeline
While Dristan wasn’t an especially social person in his younger years--despite having so many siblings--he’d gradually learned to carry a conversation. It was easier with some than others, and thankfully this woman seemed of a mind to engage with him.

“A healer then? My father was a healer, I know a bit about herbs and their use.” There was something in her eyes that spoke of a certain nostalgia. It was a feeling he understood all too well. “I assume it's cheaper than having them shipped up to Amaranthine to travel to Denerim?”

“It is,” he answered with a nod, “and I tend to restock vials and jars when I make such purchases. Usually it’s safer for me to transport them on my own.”

He glanced at Daisy, who was perfectly behaved now. Perhaps she had just been in need of attention. If that was the case, he had no one to blame but himself for her restlessness.

Not wishing to dwell on the temperament of donkeys, however, he asked after his human companion--temporary though her presence might be.

“I travel this route twice a year to sell my furs and leather. I know the area alright, but I come from just west of Rainesfere.”

When she’d mentioned her father was a healer, he’d had a niggling sensation of memory trying to surface. The revelation that she had lived near Rainesfere brought another, stronger sense of it to the forefront. Something was clawing away, deep inside, and he was afraid he was going to have to stop what he was doing entirely and devote enough time to work through it.

That was an unwise prospect as the snow began to fall in earnest and winds blew his cloak about. It slipped free from under the weight of the satchel and billowed behind him, leaving Dristan to pull his coat tighter about his form--a coat that was a touch small on him now; he’d just never had the heart to have it altered.

Even through his gloves, the contact of his fingers moving over somewhat rough, haphazardly stitched together pieces of discordant leather was achingly familiar, yet such a distant sensation at the same time. It might not even have signified, if not for a combination of other factors.

The father who was a healer. The family that lived near Rainesfere. That half-grin he’d seen in his dreams for so long as a boy.

It’d been an age since he truly allowed himself to think of her. He’d felt ashamed, and then heartbroken, and then… he hadn’t felt anything but a foolish sentimentality that led him to keep a coat that no longer fit him properly.

He’d let go of his memories, because they’d had no place in his life after his father’s actions. But for three years, the process of making those memories had been everything to him. Were he still eighteen, he would have easily recognized the eyes of the woman who stood before him now. Were he still eighteen, the realization of who she was might have filled him with joy instead of the swift rush of complicated emotions that flooded him now.

“If this gets any worse, we might want to look for a blind. I have some tent supplies, but the animals will need shelter too.”

She was focused on the situation, focused on the practical side of things, but she wouldn’t always be. And considering his heart rate had picked up significantly and his breathing wasn’t especially measured, he knew it wouldn’t be long before she noticed something was amiss.

Perhaps she wouldn’t recognize him. He likely wouldn’t have realized who she was until later, if not for the information provided. Thus far he’d not given away enough to reveal who he was, though if she remembered the coat…

There was a decision to be made, though he wasn’t especially eager to make it. Letting her go on in ignorance seemed the widest course of action, but perhaps she wouldn’t remember even if he did say something. Perhaps their acquaintance barely registered in her mind.

“Perhaps there’s a cabin or some other structure nearby,” he offered distractedly.

Now that he recognized her, his mind fixated on her eyes and that half-grin--the only features that hadn’t truly changed after all this time. Dristan wasn’t prone to changing plans when he could help it, but he did now, in the middle of resigning himself to being a liar and a coward. And in the middle of a snowstorm that seemed to have little regard for his personal crisis, as the occasional flurry became a more persistent dusting.

“I’m sorry. You… likely don’t remember me,” he almost hoped, “but we’ve met before, quite some time ago. I… apprenticed with your father.”

It felt woefully inadequate, but “I was in love with you” had been inappropriate when he first left, and it was wildly uncalled for now.