• Hello Guest, the Post-Trespasser timeline is open to all characters now. If you want to play your DA:O/DA2 timeline characters in the Post-Trespasser timeline, please check out the thread below. It will give you all the information you need to get up and running in no time:

Getting your DA:O/DA2 Character ready for Post-Trespasser!

Failed A Stealth Check [Closed]

Nicolette O'Hara

Prominent member
DAO/DA2 Timeline
Everything bad went away when Nicolette kissed Celeste. The landlord, his guards, the mage underground, the slavers that had set her on this path in the first place, and the fear of being caught, all vanished as she pressed against the captain, stealing as long a kiss as she could before she needed to surface for air. Celeste was breathing hard too, and Nicolette made a softly mournful sound over the bruises on her neck, asking if they needed to get her some salve.

“Brannigan will have one.” The neck was not the only place injured. Celeste lifted her hand, flexing it – it was obviously causing her more pain than the marks on her throat. Nicolette felt another sting of guilt that she had dragged Celeste into this, and if picking up on that Celeste immediately switched the focus to her. “You? Things went sideways pretty fast in there.”

Nicolette let out a long breath. “Possibly I should not have taken the task, although when I heard of what he was up to, there was little chance of my refusing. I could not have left it with a clear conscience. And…I am sorry you got hurt on my behalf.” Nicolette turned her head to brush another kiss to Celeste’s palm, offering a small smile. “I am glad you were there, though. And it was not the worst situation I have been in by a few measures.”

She was not as shaken as she would have expected. Whether it was that she was gaining experience or because of the company, she was not sure, but she was inclined to believe the latter. Celeste had a way of making her feel a little more self-assured that she did not fully understand.

In their flight, the amber pendant that Celeste had given her had come loose from her shirt. She decided not to tuck it back out of sight, and wound her fingers with the other woman’s as Celeste indicated that they should go. They headed away from the house, which was just fine by Nicolette. “Are you supposed to report back to someone, or are they coming to find you?”

“The messenger said that if I were to find anything, I should take it to a dead drop on Armourer’s Row. I think it best if I take it now. I would rather not run the risk that he sends his goons after us after all and they catch up while we are still carrying it.” Nicolette did not untangle her fingers from Celeste’s yet. “Although – would it make more sense to leave a message saying we have it, and keep it on us for the moment? I do not know who would be watching the drop point.”

Celeste Monroe

Shenaniginstigator In Chief
Post DAI Timeline
DAO/DA2 Timeline
“Possibly I should not have taken the task,” Nicolette admitted, making no move to step away from Celeste, “although when I heard of what he was up to, there was little chance of my refusing. I could not have left it with a clear conscience. And…I am sorry you got hurt on my behalf.”

“It’s not that bad,” Celeste assured her, though she wasn’t going to turn down the kiss that was pressed to the palm of her bruised hand or the warm regard in the minstrel’s eyes as she went on.

“I am glad you were there, though. And it was not the worst situation I have been in by a few measures.”

“You did well,” Celeste told her again. “You’re pretty good at getting out of trouble.” She kept a clear head and knew how to improvise on the fly. “We just need to work with you on how not to get into trouble.” Her thumb traced the curve of a cheek, green eyes steady on amber. “And if you ever need help, all you have to do is ask.” She didn’t want to think about what might have happened if the asshole had cornered Nico alone.

She released her loose embrace, and Nicolette readily accepted the hand that she offered, the amber pendant slipping from under her shirt and gleaming in the sunlight as they stepped from the alley. Her lover was fond of pretty things, and Celeste was of a mind to indulge her. The day’s adventure had suggested another gift, one that would take some looking for.

Given the general lack of anything remotely resembling intel on this caper, Celeste would not have been surprised if Nicolette had been given the name of someone to report to, but apparently this mage underground had at least a few people who knew what they were doing.

“The messenger said that if I were to find anything, I should take it to a dead drop on Armourer’s Row,” Nico replied to her query, adding worriedly, “I think it best if I take it now. I would rather not run the risk that he sends his goons after us after all and they catch up while we are still carrying it.”

“Never happen,” Celeste said confidently, giving the minstrel’s hand a squeeze of reassurance. “He’s not going to risk the guards being drawn in anywhere near this journal.” Then too, she’d been keeping a watch to their rear since they’d left the house, and there were no signs of pursuit.

“Although –” Nicolette paused thoughtfully, “would it make more sense to leave a message saying we have it, and keep it on us for the moment? I do not know who would be watching the drop point.”

“Good thinking,” Celeste congratulated her, both on the thought to keep hold of the journal for the moment and for realizing that a blind drop might have eyes. “Show me where it’s at, but don’t approach it just yet, and take a roundabout way if you can.” A circuitous route would reveal all but the most skilled pursuers, and might let them see who was watching the drop.

Nicolette O'Hara

Prominent member
DAO/DA2 Timeline
Celeste tried to assure her that the bruises were not all that bad. Nicolette still felt as bad as if she was the one with the mangled hand and bruised throat, and she wished she had a salve or poultice on hand to soothe the injuries until Brannigan could take a look at them.

Maker, she had not even thought to bring anything medicinal in case the task went pear-shaped. What had she been thinking?

But that depressive thought found little ground to stand on at the moment. Regardless of how thoughtless she had been, they had made it out in one piece, and the euphoria at knowing that the landlord would not put a single other person in danger again, thanks to them, had yet to wear off. Celeste’s praise added to that, and Nicolette did not feel anything like the usual dent in confidence she would have normally felt when somebody told her that she needed to avoid getting into trouble. Celeste held her gaze. “And if you ever need help, all you have to do is ask.”

I will.” It was a promise. And a strange realisation, to know that other than Thibault, there was somebody in her life who she could reliably go to in case of trouble. At least for the next few months. It was more of a bedrock than she was used to having, and she felt that strange tug again. This time, rather than finding an excuse to turn away, she followed its impulse and wound her fingers with Celeste’s as they stepped out of their hiding spot and addressed what they would do next.

Nobody was following, at least not as far as Nicolette could see, but that did not mean they would not be watched when they dropped off journal, and Nicolette found a rare twinge of stubbornness. She had already taken a huge risk today, opening herself to the eyes of whoever might be watching her at the dead drop did not seem fair. She suggested keeping the book, for now.

“Good thinking. Show me where it’s at, but don’t approach it just yet, and take a roundabout way if you can.”
Nicolette nodded, smiling a little at the compliment. Most people assumed she was a pretty face and a way with an instrument, but Celeste seemed to think her reasonably smart as well. It was flattering. She started towards Armourer’s Row, weaving in and out of the streets, pausing at a few stalls as though browsing them.

At one, she picked up a small knife for carving and proceeded to haggle over it as she normally would, before turning it down as too pricy. As they walked away, she murmured to Celeste. “The dead drop is two stalls back from the one I just stopped at. Does the man running it look familiar to you at all?”

He might not, and it would be no indication as to whether he was a spy or a member of the Collective if Celeste did not recognise him, but it would mildly reassuring if she did.

Celeste Monroe

Post DAI Timeline
DAO/DA2 Timeline
Celeste let Nicolette pick their meandering path to the dead drop, keeping her attention turned to looking for followers that never materialized. The minstrel made no attempt to release her hold on Celeste’s hand, and the sailor was content to let things stand, keeping pace and pausing alongside her as she stopped to examine the wares at a few stalls along the way.

As they stepped away from the last such stop, Nicolette told her in a low voice, “The dead drop is two stalls back from the one I just stopped at. Does the man running it look familiar to you at all?”

Celeste glanced about the market, her seemingly casual gaze sliding by the stall in question without pausing. “Nope.” She drew her companion toward a vendor selling fried bread smeared with honey, paying for one for each of them (though she did have to release the other woman’s hand to do it, since her right hand wasn’t up to holding much of anything).

“Couple of options,” she said in a conversational tone as she took a bite of the pastry. “We just leave and wait for them to find you, or we leave a message at the drop where we set the time and place.” She knew what course she would take, but this was Nicolette’s caper and her choice.

Nicolette O'Hara

Prominent member
DAO/DA2 Timeline
Celeste did not recognise the man running the stall at which Nicolette was meant to drop off the journal. Neither did she indicate that they had been followed. Nonetheless, Nicolette was fairly certain that right now, somebody would be watching the drop. She had been asked to do to search by a messenger, which meant they knew what she looked like, and right now they would be expecting her to make a delivery as she had arrived unharmed. The hair on the back of her neck prickled, and she was grateful for Celeste’s hand in hers.

The other woman let go, but only to buy them both a round of fried bread and honey, the sweetness of which went a way towards easing Nicolette. Dropping off the journal would certainly make it clear to any witnesses where her allegiance lay, but anything else – say, a note – could be a simple delivery or message that was not in the least bit related to the task. Even before Celeste asked, she knew how she wanted to do this.

“Couple of options. We just leave and wait for them to find you, or we leave a message at the drop where we set the time and place.”

Nicolette nodded. “I will leave a message. I would I knew where they would be and when, rather than them just popping out of the woodwork when I do not expect it. Plus, I would rather they kept their messengers away from the Wicked Grace.” No matter how tight an organisation, Nicolette’s experience with stories about underground movements was that there was always a spy in them somewhere. Getting herself in trouble for her associations was one thing but with the masts on the way and freedom so close, she was not going to be the cause of Celeste and her crew being delayed in their departure as they got questioned by the templars.

She headed back over to the stall, finishing off the rest of the bread. The man looked up at her, a polite smile not quite reaching his eyes, and then he blinked as she asked for a piece of parchment and a stub of kohl. She quickly scribbled out a message, left it unsigned, with a time and place on it, and then walked away. “And hopefully that is it for the rest of today. I have said I will leave a parcel for them two days from now, at the Ogre’s Teeth.” A tavern seemed a better bet than an isolated street in the middle of nowhere.

Celeste Monroe

Post DAI Timeline
DAO/DA2 Timeline
Nicolette was ill at ease, though she hid it well, and when offered options, she chose without dithering. “I will leave a message,” she declared with a resolute nod. “I would I knew where they would be and when, rather than them just popping out of the woodwork when I do not expect it. Plus, I would rather they kept their messengers away from the Wicked Grace.”

That was sweet, but decidedly unneeded. Anybody skulking about the ship would be dealt with in an immediate and highly memorable manner intended to discourage repeat offenders. Anyone actually seeking to harm anybody on board … well, fish had to eat too

Celeste hung back as Nico approached the stall, finishing the last few bites of bread as she scanned the crowd, then shifted back to the face of the vendor as he gave the minstrel the writing implements that she requested.He watched her for a moment, then lifted his head, his eyes seeking out -

There you are. Short and stocky, with red hair and an earring, he was pretending to browse at a stall that sold weapons, but he was watching Nicolette an frowning.

“And hopefully that is it for the rest of today,” she remarked as she returned, having left her message with the vendor. “I have said I will leave a parcel for them two days from now, at the Ogre’s Teeth.”

Celeste nodded, and they fell into step together, headed back toward the docks. The twisting streets worked in their favor, giving Celeste ample opportunity to check behind them, and soon enough …

Hello, asshole.

They could likely lose him easily enough, but they knew now what she and Nicolette looked like, while she only had the faces of merchant and this bloke. She slipped an arm around Nicolette’s waist, leaning in for an affectionate kiss. “Fifty paces back,” she murmured. “Red hair, gold hoop in the left ear.” The Hanged Man was coming up, and she angled them toward the door; she wasn’t worried about them seeing the Wicked Grace, but she wasn’t inclined to let it be on their terms. Just before they went in the door, she turned and let her eyes lock with the redhead’s. Telling him that he’d been seen. Holding the journal up slightly, she jerked her head toward the tavern, then sauntered inside with Nico.

Nicolette O'Hara

Prominent member
DAO/DA2 Timeline
Celeste’s gaze was focused somewhere beyond Nicolette’s shoulder when she looked up from writing the letter, but a sharp glance behind her did not reveal the landlord sprinting down the street in their direction. Nonplussed, she returned to her companion, explained her current plan, and together they started to wander in the general direction of the docks.

It quickly became apparent that Celeste was up to something. She was not taking the most direct route (although direct route was a misnomer for any travel in Kirkwall, given how it had apparently been designed after a series of overlapping circles), and Nicolette had learnt enough about the other woman by now to know that something else was going on. Even as the captain wound an arm around her waist and Nicolette leaned into the affectionate nuzzle, she kept her ear open.

“Fifty paces back. Red hair, gold hoop in the left ear.”

Nicolette managed to resist the urge to glance back. “From where?” She kept her head close to Celeste’s, keeping an expression of adoration on her face. “Did they spot us at the marketplace?”

They swung round towards a familiar doorway – the Hanged Man sign dangled overhead, none the worse for its temporary replacement, although Nicolette noticed that somebody had painted a pair of goggling eyes on it. She gestured upwards. “I think somebody approved of our work.”

Glancing at Celeste, she realised the other woman had little interest in being circumspect – she was holding the journal slightly aloft. What game did she have in mind for the person following them?

If he planned on trouble, it would find it difficult to carry out here. There were a lot of witnesses, and Celeste and Nicolette were both well known enough there that some regulars might take objection to anybody harassing them. Once safely through the door, Nicolette felt safe turning around to see if he followed them in.

He did. It was a man, scowling, either upset at the runaround or that he had been spotted trailing them so soon. Apparently having realised he had been figured out, he made straight for them and held out his hand. “I assume you actually found something of value, if you’re making arrangements to leave it. But it’s urgent we get that man out of there so if you have something, you should give it to me now so we can action it immediately.”

Nicolette did not trust him at all. She did not even know if he was part of the underground – thus far they had kept her at arm’s length, only showing the faces of people tangibly involved. Having somebody approach so directly put her on guard. She leaned close to Celeste as she answered him. “I do not know what you are talking about. Have you mistaken me for somebody else?”

His hand snapped out faster than Nicolette had expected, grasping her wrist tightly, gaze shifting between her and Celeste. “I saw you leave a message at the stall. You-” to Celeste – “Hand over the evidence, now.”

Nicolette hated violence. She would no sooner strike the first blow in a fight than become a laysister, but his grip was grinding the small bones in her wrist together. She pushed the heel of her palm into his nose sharply, and he let go of her to grab at his face, cursing into his hands.

Celeste Monroe

Post DAI Timeline
DAO/DA2 Timeline
Nicolette kept her composure admirably when informed of their tail. “Did they spot us at the marketplace?” she asked, trusting Celeste enough not to look back, keeping up the facade of lovers out for a stroll.

“They were watching the stall.” Celeste pressed a light kiss to her temple, then turned her attention to how to deal with their new shadow. Losing him just meant having to be on watch for the next one sent; better to deal with him now, and the Hanged Man was as close to friendly ground as she was going to find for now.

“I think somebody approved of our work,” Nico remarked, indicating the straw dummy, who was back at his post and sporting a shocked expression.

“What wasn’t to approve of?” Celeste asked, quirking a cocky grin. It had been a damned good prank that had provided a resounding comeuppance to a raging asshole. “Addie was pleased,” she added before turning to issue her silent challenge to the redhead.

He took it, fucking amateur that he was, and came charging in right after them, abandoning all attempt at subtlety. “I assume you actually found something of value, if you’re making arrangements to leave it,” he announced with a scowl. “But it’s urgent we get that man out of there so if you have something, you should give it to me now so we can action it immediately.”

Celeste gave him her best ‘did you really just do that, you fucking moron?’ look, keeping the journal well out of his reach, while Nico sidled closer to her, giving him a distrustful look. “I do not know what you are talking about. Have you mistaken me for somebody else?”

His face flushed an ugly shade, and his hand shot out to grab the minstrel’s wrist, knuckles whitening as he squeezed. “I saw you leave a message at the stall,” he grated. “You-” he jerked his chin at Celeste, “Hand over the evidence, now.”

Oh, he was going to get something, all right, but as Celeste’s hand dropped to her dagger, Nico slammed the heel of her hand into his nose, releasing a fountain of blood and a stream of curses as he staggered back with his face in his hands.

“You bitch!” The voice was muffled behind the hands, but the eyes blazed with hate until they looked past them and widened.

“We’re pretty casual here,” Varric remarked as he sauntered forward, his crossbow trained on the redhead, “but we draw the line at assaulting patrons.” His eyes flicked to Nicolette. “Is this man bothering you, Dancer?”

Nicolette O'Hara

Prominent member
DAO/DA2 Timeline
Nicolette might be relatively new to the world of subterfuge, or at least actively participating in it, but even she knew that if the target one was aiming for happened to be waved directly in your line of sight, you did not just spring straight across the room and go for it. There were traps. There were witnesses. More to the point, laying out his intentions so baldly meant that both women were now on guard. Even though he managed to grab her wrist so hard it made her gasp, there were several immediate consequences.

First, the strike to his nose had landed somewhat harder than Nicolette intended, and she hastily pulled her hands away, feeling a little sick at the sight of his blood – although not particularly guilty about it. Second, Celeste pulled her dagger. Finally, as he swore through his hands at Nicolette, his rage was cut short by the sight of Varric walking as casually towards them as it was possible for a person to do while holding a beautifully polished and clearly loaded crossbow cocked and ready.

It was probably not what the redheaded man had intended to be the outcome of this confrontation.

“We’re pretty casual here. But we draw the line at assaulting patrons.” His gaze flicked to her, and Nicolette gave him a grateful nod. “Is this man bothering you, Dancer?”

“I would say so.” Nicolette eyed the man with distaste. What had he been thinking of, going after them so directly? And who had sent him? Was he an agent of the underground, or maybe a spy for the templars trying to weed out the agents? He had to have known, somehow, that somebody would be attempting to get evidence against the landlord, and be dropping it off with that stallowner – who presumably at known him. So what did that make the pair of them? All questions she could not really ask directly without revealing her hand entirely.

It seemed safest to stick to the original course of action; deliver the journal as she had stated she would in her note, and think no more on it. Celeste’s threats would ensure the landlord did not resume his activities without knowing where the book was.

Apparently finally realising he was in a tight spot, the man held up his hands. His face was not a pretty sight. “All right, all right! Don’t shoot! I’m sorry! I’m…I’m part of the guard!”

“And I am Empress Celene.” Nicolette was not usually given to sarcasm but between being electrocuted and nearly having her wrist broken, not to mention hearing the woman she cared about being almost strangled, her patience was beginning to run thin. She realised she was shaking again – this was a lot, in one day. “I do not know what you are involved in, but I have little interest in it. Please go.”

Celeste Monroe

Post DAI Timeline
DAO/DA2 Timeline
There had been a reason she’d picked the Wicked Grace; Varric and Bianca were a handy hole card, and the redhead changed his tune quickly when he found himself staring down a drawn broadtip bolt. “All right, all right!” He held his hands up in surrender, then groped for a grimy handkerchief to staunch the flow of blood from his nose. “Don’t shoot! I’m sorry! I’m…I’m part of the guard!”

“And I’m the Hero of Ferelden.” Celeste’s retort was delivered in tandem with Nicolette’s ‘Empress Celene’ response, and she quirked a grin at her lover, but she could feel the tension thrumming through the minstrel’s slender frame, and gave her hand a reassuring squeeze.

“I do not know what you are involved in,” Nico told him, her voice steady and her pretty features set in resolve, “but I have little interest in it. Please go.”

“And tell whoever was stupid enough to send you that the next one who tries to follow her dies.” There was no trace of mirth on Celeste’s face; these idiots had sent Nicolette on a mission that could easily have gotten her killed or tied up in that freak’s basement, then dispatched this asshole to try to intimidate her. There wouldn’t be a third chance given. He looked ready to protest, but his eyes darted from Bianca to Celeste’s hand still on the hilt of her dagger, and he slunk out with his tail between his legs.

“Well, that was entertaining.” Varric lowered Bianca and peered up at Nicolette. “Looks like you’ve found trouble, Dancer.” His eyes slid to Celeste, a smirk edging his mouth. “Hello, Trouble.”

The grin she gave him in return was cheeky and entirely unrepentant. She’d more than earned the sobriquet within hours of first meeting him, years back. “She does a pretty good job of getting into trouble without me,” she informed him. “I’m just showing her how to get out of it better.” She looped an arm around Nicolette’s waist. “How about a drink, then slip out the back door?” she suggested, cocking her head to study the amber eyes, seeing the tightly leashed distress. “Get you back to the Grace and let you throw some punches at Dax.” Belzer was an experienced brawler; he could easily absorb a few blows while she blew off some steam. “Nice shot, by the way,” she added approvingly.

Nicolette O'Hara

Prominent member
DAO/DA2 Timeline
The timing of Celeste’s equally sarcastic response helped, a little, as did the fingers knotting around Nicolette’s own. Nicolette returned the squeeze, perhaps a little harder than intended as she tried to think quickly enough to avoid confirming any involvement in what had happened over the last hour or so. Nothing clever came to mind; she asked him to leave, politely but firmly. Celeste was more pointed.

“And tell whoever was stupid enough to send you that the next one who tries to follow her dies.”

That – or the various weapons and glares being pointed in his direction – worked. The man conceded defeat and slunk away. Nicolette let go of Celeste’s hand to rub her own over her face. A strange mixture of exhaustion and energy warred beneath her skin; she wanted to curl up beneath the covers somewhere and sleep until today was a distant memory, but at the same time she was almost crawling out of herself with the need to do something, anything.

“Well, that was entertaining.” Varric lowered the crossbow, turning the kind cast of his face in her direction. “Looks like you’ve found trouble, Dancer.” Apparently there was a dual meaning for that, as he grinned at Celeste. “Hello, Trouble.”

Nicolette found a smile, of sorts, although she was still agitated. “Why am I unsurprised that your nickname is ‘Trouble’? And thank you, Varric.”

“She does a pretty good job of getting into trouble without me. I’m just showing her how to get out of it better.” She curled an arm around Nicolette’s waist; Nicolette leaned into the touch easily, grateful for the contact. “How about a drink, then slip out the back door?” Those eyes found hers again, the same searching and understanding expression as she had seen back in the shed. There was still no hint of aggravation or exasperation at being pulled into this.

Oh, she needed to move, or do something to take the edge off that need for the moment. “A drink sounds excellent.”

“Get you back to the Grace and let you throw some punches at Dax. Nice shot, by the way.”

Nicolette looked at her hand. “I had forgotten I knew how to do that,” she murmured, partly to herself in her disquiet. She shook the thought away. “But I do not think I want to punch. I have done enough fighting today. I want to play.” She needed her vielle back in her hands and she needed to saw away at the strings and dance until she was wrung out, until the sweat of fear had been completely washed away. She took in a breath, then another, keenly aware of the fact that without the other woman, she might not be doing even that right now.

“Celeste?” She cupped the other woman’s cheek, resting her forehead against hers for a moment. “Thank you. For following me.” Nicolette took a long, slow kiss, before pulling away,